Did you know that the Dominican Republic is the second-largest Caribbean nation by area? And that it’s also the most visited destination in the Caribbean? Here are some other fun facts about this fascinating country:
1. The Dominican Republic is home to the world’s tallest mountain in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte.
2. The country has a rich colonial history, dating back to the time when it was a Spanish colony.
3. The capital city of Santo Domingo is the oldest continuously inhabited European settlement in the Americas.
4. The Dominican Republic is famous for its beaches, including the world-famous Boca Chica.
5. The country is also home to the world’s largest lake, Lago Enriquillo.
6. The national dish of the Dominican Republic is sancocho, a hearty stew made with chicken, beef, or pork.
7. The Dominican Republic is the only country in the world with a constitution that prohibits foreign ownership of land.
8. The country is home to the world’s second-largest coral reef, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef.
9. The Dominican Republic is a popular destination for golfers, with some of the best courses in the Caribbean.
10. The country is also home to the world’s largest cigar factory, Tabacalera de Garcia.